Equinox Consulting Partners is seeking a Network Engineer with VMWare and Linux. We are seeking candidates that currently reside in the Norfolk, Newport News, VA Beach or Hampton Virginia areas. Please note: interviews will be web based or via phone. The Position (once filled) will be remote until Norfolk State University offices re-open and the state allows them to work on-site due to COVID-19.
The successful candidate will be part of a team that will perform the following duties and responsibilities on a day to day basis:
- Update existing infrastructure to the latest version applications, operating systems and firmware including VMWare clusters.
- Participate in the planning and design of services and systems.
- Identify and implement technologies that allow for appropriate growth and expansion of systems environment and services that OIT provides to the University Community.
- Proactively monitor systems to ensure maximum performance and availability.
- Design, implement, and maintain servers, storage, and associated hardware and software to provide services to campus customers.
- Coordinate with the technical points of contact to migrate services and data.
- Oversee the physical security, integrity, and safety of the data center/server environment.
- Coordinate with the technical points of contact to ensure specialized software and applications are kept up to date and changes to University systems are prepared for.
- Operate in an environment that requires confidentiality of information.
- Extensive demonstrated knowledge of virtualization and Linux OS concepts. (5 years)
- Extensive demonstrated knowledge of server and network systems installation, administration, performance monitoring, and troubleshooting. (3 years)
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Windows based server environments and services (i.e. Active Directory, DHCP, and DNS) (3 years desired)
- Experience with Storage Area Networks (iSCSI), VMware (2 years)
- Demonstrated knowledge of server and network security, network architecture, and new and emerging IT and client-server technologies. (2 years desired)
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple competing tasks and work both independently and as a team member. (3 years highly desired)
- Demonstrated ability to generate and adapt equipment and technology to serve user requirements. (2 years highly desired)
- Ability to perform site surveys and identify requirements necessary for system definition and utilization. (2 years desired)
- Ability to perform research, analyze results, draft requirements, and formulate technology solutions. (2 years desired)
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical matters, both verbally and in writing, to end users who have varied levels of understanding. (2 years nice to have)
- Experience setting up hardware and providing instructional directions in the use of such. (2 years nice to have)
- Extensive experience diagnosing, troubleshooting, and resolving hardware, software, and other network and system problems. (3 years highly desired)
- Experience performing hardware maintenance and software upgrades. (2 years)
- Experience providing technical assistance to developers and other IT personnel to facilitate utilization/maintenance of new and existing systems. (3 years highly desired)
- Demonstrated knowledge of Linux Operating Systems (CentOS or Ubuntu) (3 years)